Here is the path i followed :
- Will use 3 point tracking since it gives good performances and low latency.
- Will use infrared lights spots ( to be able to track in daylight )
- Will use my webcam with IR filters to track spots.
- Will use FaceTrackNoIR as it provides most usefull protocols.
Bills of materials
- 3 x OSRAM - LD271 - IR 5MM 950N
- 1 x 5.6 ohm 1/4W Resistor ( Green Blue Gold)
- 1 x USB cable
- 1 x USB > AC Converter ( Optional )
Electric ArrayThe electric array will look like this :
+----|>|----|>|----|>|---/\/\/----+ R = 5.6 ohms
Weld in series the LED and the Resistor.
Then weld circuit to USB cable.
3 points home made head clipYou need a chassis to mount led, It should be an 'L' shape. See picture below.
IR ReceiverNext IR receiver: I used a Webcam with 5 pieces of negative photograpric film as IR filter. ( More film allow better filtering )
ResultI've mounted the whole on my headset , that's all, a full functionnal head tracking device < 10 €
Next I'll build my DIY Virtual Reality headset …